If you are getting ready to take a trip, either for business or pleasure, you are probably busy packing the critical items you need to take with you, reserving your hotel accommodations, purchasing travel insurance, and planning your exploration of your destination. All of these steps are an important part of ensuring your trip goes smoothly, but they are not the only concerns you should have.Maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle, even while traveling should be a top priority in your mind. It can be difficult, but it is not impossible. The following are just a few tips to help you avoid putting on those extra pounds while you are on your trip.
- Moderation and Discipline – The key to maintaining your weight and still have a successful business trip is based on two words: Moderation and Discipline. This might not be the easiest thing to do, but if you can play your cards right, you could have a very productive business trip and still maintain your ideal physique. The secret is not so much about what you eat, but how you eat. You may have heard about it many times from fitness ‘gurus’ to a dietician. The formula to maintaining your weight is moderation. You can achieve this with a bit of planning and achieve a sense of discipline in your ability to manage your diet.
- Eat Your Breakfast in Moderation – When you are overseas, and you have a breakfast buffet included in your itinerary – go ahead and enjoy it! However, moderate your intake. Instead of loading your plate to its maximum capacity eat a smaller portion. Before you go for the bread or rice or potatoes, start with some juice, fruits, and cereal. Fruits and cereal contain fiber. When you consume these, it gives you a sense of fullness. Drink your coffee and tea in smaller quantity. Because these might be free-flowing, you may be tempted to consume more of it. If you feel that the variety of food that is displayed is simply overwhelming, go ahead and have tasting portions of each.
- Have a Light Lunch – Check your schedule for the day to see what is in store for you. If it is going to be a hectic day ahead of you, it is OK to consume a hearty breakfast. What you need to do is to reduce your lunch. Perhaps you could mention this to your business associate so that they might bring you to a place where they serve lighter meals. Again if you do have to have a business lunch eat your food slowly and drink more liquid preferably, water. Cut down on carbohydrate (Bread, rice, potato) and go for the meat dish or vegetables.
- Reduce Your Intake of Alcohol – Alcohol has high energy content and adds to the unnecessary calories your body could do without. So you need to cut down your intake of alcohol. If you have to have the second drink, take something that does not have high alcohol content. Further drinking too much alcohol will also make you feel hungry and thus wanting to consume more food. All this will take its toll the following day, and you do not want this to affect your business affairs. Therefore, if you have to have the drink see whether you could water it down and sip slowly. This way you will not only enjoy your drink but also will be able to stay alerted.
- Drink Plenty of Water – If your business trip encompasses having to attend conferences and meetings, it will most likely be conducted in comfortable air-conditioned rooms. Further, if you are staying in a hotel, you will be sleeping in air-conditioned rooms as well. Air-conditioned rooms have a dry atmosphere and will have a tendency to dehydrate you. When you feel dehydrated, you will feel tired both physically and mentally. So the remedy for this is simple: Drink plenty of water.