Traveling with your boss is something that you may not do everyday. However, when you have to take long trips with your boss for work, it can be daunting to say the least. To begin with, you do not want the boss to see your flaws owing to the close interaction. Additionally, it is so much pressure on you; because you have to appear perfect to make the right impression during the trip. Many people panic with this reality; but the good thing is that there are ways to make traveling with your boss fruitful and less awkward. Below are vital tips in this respect.
- Make a good impression – While traveling with your boss, it is time to put your best foot forward. You have to organize your work properly as you showcase your skills to your boss. Take advantage of this time not to appear angelic; but to show your boss that you are indeed dependable and hardworking. From preparing a flawless itinerary to implementing the tasks before you; it is a good time to impress. Keep in mind that this will not work if you become a sloppy worker when you get back to the office. You cannot fake it; just be yourself.
- Go slow on the wine – A business trip has plenty of opportunities to indulge in some alcohol. However, you do not want to cloud your judgement. Therefore, stick to a glass of wine if you must drink.
- Avoid throwing colleagues under the bus – Some workers will take advantage of their time with the boss to bring up the latest office gossip. The last thing you want to do is to talk ill about someone. Therefore, keep it very professional and avoid personal talk as much as possible. Let your boss initiate it if they like.
- Put off personal business – Some people will engage in sightseeing or shopping as they travel with their bosses for business. When waiting at a lobby for your boss to arrive, forget about your personal interests and choose to answer work emails or update your work calendar. This way, you will stay focused on your job.
- Relax and let things flow – Some people are terrified of their boss. Fear will work against you when you have to travel for business with your boss. In light of this, take a deep breath and allow yourself to enjoy the trip. This relaxed status will translate into your work and your boss will definitely be impressed.